Monday, July 20, 2009

The beginning - July 18, 2009

by Erica

My alarm clock buzzed at 4:30 AM Eastern Standard Time. After significant effort and multiple “snooze”s, I managed to twitch my eyes open; upon recalling why in the world I was up so early (I am NOT by any means a morning person), I trudged to the coffee pot. Halfway through my first cup it dawned on me that today had finally arrived—I was traveling to Churchill in merely a few hours.

After literally sitting on my suitcase to squeeze in my AP Bio books, I was ready to go. My mom and I “hit the road” around 5:30, only 15 minutes after we’d planned. Our drive to JFK went relatively smoothly, and after waiting in a fairly substantial security line I hugged my mother goodbye and was on my own. I boarded flight from La Guardia to Minneapolis, and as I slowly gained full consciousness, my enthusiasm level skyrocketed. I reread the expedition briefing for the third time, finished last chapter of Wuthering Heights and attempted to complete a page or so of Calc packet.

Once the first of three legs of plane travel had landed, I eagerly wandered through the airport and was pleasantly surprised to see Anna, of Wisconsin, standing nearby the boarding platform. We managed to switch around our seats and bonded over random common interests and funny stories, altogether a very exciting plane ride to Winnipeg. Then, Anna and I exited through customs (lady interrogated me intensively over my “pleasure” vacation with no volunteer work whatsoever...) and found Carla, Laura, and Claire waiting for us. Despite a ripped contact, we managed to grab coffee and introduce ourselves in a somewhat conscious manner. Then together we went to the platform of our final leg of travel—the calm air Saab to Churchill. We found Chris and Ymkje and all six of us, (minus Spencer, who we have yet to meet due to delayed flight...) boarded the most adorable propeller plane I’ve ever seen. On impulse, I brought out my camera and snapped numerous shots of the wings and of my fellow passengers boarding, and grinned at the airplane worker who laughed at my tourist’s amusement. This ride was rather noisy, and somewhat on bumpy side, but the prospect of being in a 30 person propeller plane on our way to arctic’s edge made it all worthwhile.

Finally, our group arrived in Churchill, accompanied by large smiles on our exhausted faces. We met the LeeAnn, Ben, and Scott in terminal and set off for the drive over barren yet beautiful landscape to research center itself. Eventually, we see the infamous figure of “birdfish” painted white on blue and realize we have ultimately reached our destination. My first impression of the center is entirely positive—a very comfy and homey building filled with enthusiastic researchers and students from across the world, all united at the dining room over delicious food and concept of scientific studying in arctic climate. Despite losing Chris and Anna’s luggage, and infinite amounts of mosquito bites, our journey to study at the “Arctic’s Edge” had been very successful, and all over quite pleasant. Can’t wait for tomorrow!

Departing Winnipeg for Churchill!


First day (minus Spencer -- random guy) trying out the field gear

No comments:

Post a Comment